Saturday, April 21, 2007

1 Down & Zillions To Go ......

Yes, one of my socks has a partner now & it's the Rose Hips (Opal Handpainted) socks. I was away for 4 nights in Margaret River (300+ kms south of Perth) & had lots of knitting time .... so brought along some single socks. But I only managed to finish just this one .... I really like the pattern on this socks - it's the Slip-Up Socks, a free pattern from Posh Yarn. I just took the stitch pattern for the top of the foot & the leg - it was an easy to remember 4 rows pattern & really compliment the color of the yarn.
Did you notice my new sock blockers which I just received from Pick Up Sticks. Now it's much easier to take pictures of the socks!
I did managed to finish 1 Jaywalker but can anyone notice anything unusual on the sock? After finishing the heel & knitting away on the leg, I was in a state of PANIC - what is happening to the colors - I kept reassuring myself that it will be alright but it's not - I am really disappointed as I like this yarn, Lorna Laces Shepherd Socks (color Jeans) - it's soft & nice to knit with & the colors were coming along fine on the foot - WHAT HAPPENED !!!!!!!!!!!


This is the back of the sock & look at the pooling of the dark blue. I have started out enjoying knitting this sock - nice yarn & the Jaywalker pattern was an easy to remember & I knitted it toe-up - what more can I ask for as it's my ideal sock?
I am just going to leave it as it is. Had just wound up the 2nd skein & will knit up the other sock & see if I have the same problem - then I will decide what to do next!

Just looking at this sock makes me really depressed ......












10 comments:

Dipsy Doodle said...

Your Slip Up Socks look so beautiful - what a gorgeous pattern this is, I'll *so* have to try this one out too!
What a bummer about the Jaywalker - or the yarn in particular. This is really some strange pooling and I can very well imagine how disappointed you were. I remember I've read in other blogs before that this particular brand of yarn tends to pool strangely at times - considering the amount of cash they ask for it, this certainly shouldn't happen! But I'd say, the front part of the sock looks totally unique, and as the really strange pooling just happens on the back side, you should really let it as it is and be proud on a totally unique and outstanding Jaywalker, no?

Dipsy D.
http://www.millharrow.com

2paw said...

Beautiful SUS!!! And beautifully dispalyed on your sock blockers!! I knitted a pair of socks and exactly the same thing happened, there was pooling on one side. I love pooling, so i don't mind, but it is annoying for non-poolers. I think I am as concerned about my stripes matching, so I know how you feel!! I have no solution though!!

Sharon said...

Love the socks on their very impressive sock blockers, I still want to get some one day!

Jaywalkers need stripes so I feel your pain :( but hey your knitting is A1 as always and it is the yarn and definately not you :)

Roseann said...

Your slip-up socks are so pretty! The colors are gorgeous. I'm planning some Jaywalkers so I appreciate getting a good look at yours. Hand paints = unpredictability and these are uniquely yours. I will be curious to see how the second one knits up.

tiennieknits said...

Great socks and sock blockers! I still like the jaywalkers even with the pooling

Carol said...

If you really don't like them when the 2nd one is done, I'd be happy to take them off your hands. Or feet as it were ;) It is a shame to pay lots for yarn that does that. At least it's in the back where you can't see it.

KnittingNutter said...

Great sock, beautiful yarn. I've had that happen too, where the dark colour pools together. I guess it happens when you add more stitches on the gusset and then reduce them - throwing the pattern out of sync. They're still great socks!

Asaknitter
www.knittingnutter.com

Rebecca said...

I can't believe that Lorna's Laces pooled like that. I used that very yarn for a pair of socks for my DD and they were fine. It must be the way the Jaywalker pattern is. I would still wear them!

Rebecca said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and asking about the Retro Double Point Needle case. If my calculations are correct, postage to Australia would be around $4.70-$5.25 US monies.

Sam said...

I've had flashing and pooling issues with LL before, it's such an unpredictable science, knitting handpainted yarn isn't it? I still think they look pretty cool :)