Friday, February 01, 2008

1st Cast On For 2008 !

I finally gave in to my daughter's plea for a handknit & cast on my 1st project for 2008 - The Fitted Singlet from Jo Sharp Knit Issue 2. I have been reluctant to knit for Lynette as she does not like to wear handknits but she wanted this Singlet & it's just right for summer. We went to Spotlight for the bamboo/cotton yarn which is lovely & of the right gauge for the Singlet ....
.... & of course the price is also right as it's only $2.99 a ball & I just need 5 balls ($14.95) - at least I won't feel the pain if Lynette decides not to wear the Singlet. As I am knitting it in the round, it is coming along quite fast ....

I also found some time to make these ....

.... stitch markers made with wire instead of metal rings so that they will not catch on the yarn. I saw them on Auntie Ann's blog & she had the links to the tutorial. It was easy to make as long as you have all the right materials. And I got Lynette to make these row counters ....

.... which actually look like long stitch markers - the tutorial is also on the same blog. The blue one on the left is a 2-row counter & the red one on the right is a 3-row counter. They look great & I can't wait to use them especially for sock knitting with patterns. If they work, I think I will be making more of these!

I am still knitting on the Back to Basics sock which is turning out alright ....
..... but the gusset & heel took a long time to knit as the no. of increases were quite a lot & so it also took many more rows to do the decreases - I think the heel looks a little too big for me. Anyway, I am glad to try this new technique as it just add to my sock knitting experience. Now I have to knit the 2nd sock.
THIS IS AN IMPORTANT NOTICE
I (actually Michelle did) have installed Haloscan so that I can reply to comments. As I did not want to lose my precious comments left by all you lovely knitters, Michelle had to provide for 2 options. I will greatly appreciate if you can leave your comments through Haloscan so that I can reply to you. Thank you for your kind words!






4 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the lime green colour - it is one of my favs. Look forward to seeing the finished tank top.

Sue said...

Ooh the bamboo looks as though it knits up very nicely. I will have to take a look at Spotlight for some. I love the sock, such a pretty color and the stitch markers look great.

Melinda said...

I really like the Jo Sharp singlet pattern (although I don't think it would look great on me!) Looking forward to seeing your finished product!

AuntieAnn said...

Great stitch markers! Aren't they fun? I love the sock, too!