Thursday, February 25, 2010

Not So Petite Felted Bag

Last month was Helen's birthday & I decided to knit her a felted bag as she is always admiring the bags that I made. I know that Helen likes big bags & all my bags are petite like me.

So I went through my stash & found the perfect yarn - 5 skeins of Debbie Bliss Maya - a handspun 100% wool in aran weight & in Helen's favorite color, a touch of purple. Using my favorite design, A Petite Felted Bag, I cast on. After 10 minutes, I started sneezing but I just carried on knitting. This went on for almost an hour & then I realised that the wool is causing my sneezing. This had happened before when I started spindle spinning. I have rhinitis & my nose is sensitive to the little fibres coming loose as I was knitting. But I had to continue knitting as I know Helen will love this bag.

So for the next 3 days, I knitted on & my sneezing stopped as I found a solution. I wore a mask ! I used all the 5 skeins of wool & the bag was hugh ......

... the length of the bag was a metre long !

..... it looked great after felting & Helen loves it and it was worth all the sneezing!

By the way, did any of you notice my new look. As I mentioned in my last post, I was a little tired of blogging & so decided to give myself a new look & hopefully provide the incentive to blog more regularly. This is a free design from this site & it was so easy downloading the new template. The only problem was deciding which template. For the moment, the side bar is looking a little bare as I am still working on downloading more gadgets - so this blog is a WIP !

7 comments:

Michelle Lee said...

Hi Ann,

Love the new look!!! :)

2paw said...

I noticed straight away the new look and it is fabulous!!! Oh you are so clever to wear a mask, though it must have looked a bit funny!!

Roseann said...

I love the new look to your blog, very fancy! You are so kind to persevere through knitting the bag with your allergy, it was so worth the effort, that is a beautiful bag!

Rose Red said...

Oh I like the new look, what a great idea!

The bag is fab, what a great gift! Isn't felting the coolest thing!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is looking great, glad you got it sorted.

Love the bag, wool is such an amazingly versatile fibre

Rachel said...

The bag is beautiful...I'm sure she loved it (and glad you figured out how to stop sneezing!!).

Love your new look...I hope it provides you the incentive you are looking for to frequent this space more often.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous bag. And love the new look blog. Have seen some fab new Blogger blog designs lately but not been able to find out where they come from. Did you design it yourself or is it a Blogger template?