Monday, October 18, 2010

My 1st Handspun

A couple of years ago, I tried spindle spinning but had to stop due to my allergy to the short fibers & many other stuff.

As I have been undergoing treatment by a naturopath for a year & feeling much better, I decided to give spinning another try. Last month I joined a group of spinners during World Wide Spinning Day & refreshed my spinning skills. I really enjoyed spinning but I can't do it for long as it will trigger off the allergy again. If I keep the spinning to about half an hour every day, then it's fine.

So I have been spinning & I did this ......

...... the natural color is wool & the colored is merino. As I was just trying it out, I only bought a few grams of each fiber. Anyway, I decided to ply them together & I had my 1st handspun .....


.... I was so proud of this little skein. It's only 30 gms & about 80 m & I am planning to knit a pair of cuffs for next winter.

I was so glad that I could spin that I bought 100 gms of merino .....

..... I love the color of this merino & I hope I can spin enough for a little shawl.

Enough of spinning & back to knitting - I have published another shawl pattern & it's up for sale on ravelry ......

... it's the Cathedral Shawl

7 comments:

Rose Red said...

I have so far avoided catching the spinning bug - maybe it's a good thing you have to limit your spindling time each day or else you might not have time to knit! I think people who can make their own yarn are very clever!!

Your shawl pattern is lovely - I especially like the textured part in the middle.

2paw said...

Oh wow that is so wonderful, your own wool!! The merino definitely looks like your colour!!
I agree with RR, people who can spin their own wool are definitely very clever!!

alltangledup said...

do all knitters eventually become spinners ? ;-)

lovely shawl .. i like the beading detail. I really find that, the weight helps the shawl to hang better.

Roseann said...

Your spinning is beautiful!!! I am thrilled to see your plied yarn and look forward to seeing your cuffs. Knitting with handspun is my favorite!

Another lovely shawl pattern, you are amazing! I am in awe of your designing talent.

Michelle Lee said...

Can't wait to see you spin the merino fibre!! Those colours are gorgeous!!!!

And the Cathedral Shawl. My oh my!!! It's absolutely gorgeous and beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful shawl. And fab spinning too. I didn't get on with spindle spinning at all and very quickly bought my first wheel. Not spun for months now but planning to make time for it this weekend.

Rachel said...

I just had to catch up on blog reading to see that you are just starting out (technically) with spinning! Your first skein looks perfect and I bet will make some beautiful cuffs!

Your new shawl pattern is lovely...I really like the bead placement and the texture in the body of the shawl!