Friday, October 12, 2012

Royal Perth Show

I mentioned in my previous post about the Annual State Show which I have been participating in for the last few years.

Again I was invited to give a demonstration on knitting and I brought along my friend, Lisa .....
.... we were seated with a gentleman who won a few prizes in the crochet section. His crochet skills are amazing as his projects are so intricate & delicate. He had a crochet chess set on the table which caught everyone's attention. I should have taken a picture of his projects.

Anyway, here are my entries .....
..... 1st prize for these knee socks. They are the Vintage Knee Socks from the book, Wendy Knits Lace and knitted in undyed 4ply merino yarn which I purchased from Yarn and Kisses.

This is the first time that I knitted knee socks and there's a lot of knitting especially for the increases on the back to accommodate the cuff. But I love the look on the back of the socks.
Another entry is the lacy fingerless mittens which is my own design and won the 3rd prize ........
The mittens are knitted in lace weight Suri Alpaca which a friend bought from Canada. This was a challenging project as the yarn was so fine and slippery on dpns (even wooden ones). But the end result is so lovely - so light and soft, like cotton wool.

Blocking those mittens was also a challenge and I came up with this solution .....
Another entry is my Banksia Cowl and it won the 1st prize in the Own Design Section ....
I enjoyed participating in this annual event but it can be a challenge and also time consuming to plan and design the projects. Maybe next year, I will take a break .......

4 comments:

2paw said...

Oh, what a beautiful display of all your work. The socks are beautiful and I love the lace and what a clever way to block your mitts!!

Bogie said...

A demonstration and 3 top prizes, what a great show! Congratulations!!

Rose Red said...

Congratulations on your well-deserved prizes!
I am planning to enter a ridiculous number of things in next year's Royal. I think I am being a tad optimistic!

Roseann said...

Congratulations on all of your wonderful prizes!!! Amazing how two of your entries are your very own orginal designs. You did a lovely work on the knee-highs with a beautiful tubular cast-off. I certainly understand your need for a break, but I certainly look forward to seeing more of your inspiring designs :)