Friday, February 02, 2007

More Sock Yarn

This is not the end ( as I am becoming obsessed with handpainted sock yarn) & there are more sock yarn on the way. Anyway, here are the latest arrivals - January's Sock Kit from Pick Up Sticks. The yarn, Apple Pie from Apple Laine is so soft & gorgeous (50% wool, 20% silk, 20% kid mohair, 10% nylon), in colorway Sunrise, with some of my favorite colors - red, pink, blue ....




The pattern, Conifer also looks nice & so I just had to cast on but from the toe-up, of course ....



As I am reading the pattern in the reverse, it took a while to figure it out & I am still trying as I knit along - so far, it has been going well & the toe & foot 9with a ribbed pattern) look alright - I am sure by the time, I finish with this sock, I will have made lots of revision to the pattern - let see how it goes....

I am also very eager to cast on another sock using this lovely & unusual yarn that Helen had just purchased. It's TOFUtsies (toe-foot-sies) which is made in China & it's 50% superwash wool, 25% soysilk fibres, 22.5% cotton & 2.5% chitin (a fiber from shrimp & crabshell & it's naturally anit-bacterial). The yarn is thin & soft & of course, does not smell fishy (ha, ha!).... now I have to decide on the pattern - something not too complicated but simple & brings out the color of the yarn ... I have been looking at the Slip Up Socks, a free pattern from Posh Yarn or just a simple ribbed sock ... decision, decision ... but have a look at the lovely yarn ...



Well, that's not the end of sock knitting as i am working on another sock, Widdershins, which I think I have to frog - I use the Knittery, merino cashmere, which is a little thicker than the 4ply merino & knitted it with 2.5mm dpns - the sock is turning out to be too small & the stitches are looking really tight - I think I have to use 2.75mm or even 3mm dpns to loosen it up a little. I seem to be having some bad knitting karma with this pattern as I have tried twice with 2 different yarns & both are not right .... should I try the 3rd time??




7 comments:

2paw said...

What a lovely lot os sock wool, and the Conifers are looking great already. I read about the new Tofutsie wool but I did wonder if it smelled fishy!!
Yes, I found exactly the same thing with the merino cashmere- it seems much thicker, in fact it really is. That's great because it feels beautiful to wear, but now I'm just knitting ordinary Knittery 4ply it feels so thin!!!

tiennieknits said...

That apple yarn is so pretty. Can't wait to see your socks since I'd love to see more toe-up patterns!

Helen said...

Wow that's knitting up beautifully. Good luck with reversing the pattern.

My Five Sons said...

That Apple yarn looks lovely,I would love to try the Tofootsie too,checked it out last week but alas I have to limit my spending as I think Im goin to welcome into my home a new spining wheel!
With the toe up patterns I am still finding that my toes end up with holes where the increases are,though I haven't tried the short row versions yet!

Roseann said...

I enjoy reading about your new sock yarns! I know what you mean about some patterns not working out the first few times. I wonder how the 3 mm dpns would work as 2.75 mm is not too much bigger than your 2.5 mm dpns.

pinky-yin said...

oooo...love both colorways...nice and colorful :)

bonitapita said...

I've completed 3 pairs of socks with Tofutsies so far (1 plain 3x1 rib and 2 little footies). I am currently working on Roza's Socks from Interweave Knits Spring 2007 in this yarn and love the pattern. I think you will really like working with it!