Thursday, May 17, 2007

Good News & Bad News

First the Good News - my hubby loves his socks & he has been wearing them eversince he got back on Saturday. He said that they are really warm & soft. Now I may have difficulty in getting them off him to have them washed!
Now the Bad News - I had a skein of Fleece Artist Merino & as I wanted to try the yarn, decided to cast on using the Inside Out socks (pattern from STR Sock Club). It is a nice toe-up pattern with a garter stitch toe (my 1st time), a ribbed foot & cabled leg. Everything was going on really well until I got to the leg. For 2 weeks, I tried knitting the 6 st cable but kept having to rip it back to the heel as the cable leaves big gaps where they twist - I just could not accept the looks of these holes so kept trying but had no success.
I hate to give up as in most situations, I usually suceed after some preseverance BUT this is really an exception as I HAD TO GIVE UP!!!
Now I have cast on the Waving Lace Socks (from the book "Favorite Socks") using the same yarn which I had to rewind as the yarn was becoming too curly after all the frogging - so much effort & time spent & wasted. But I am looking forward to knitting the Waving Lace Socks as it is coming up nicely. You can take a peek at Tiennie's blog as she had knitted a really pretty pair !

4 comments:

2paw said...

I know you should try, try and try again but sometimes it is better to give up gracefully!! Isn't it lovely that someone loves your socks so much!! The Wavy Lace socks look beautiful: make those!! I ahve stalled on my vest. I kept knitting and knitting and getting nowhere. Finally I have 4 rows till the neck!!

Dipsy Doodle said...

How great that your hubby loves the socks! As for the cabling - I also think you should go back to this pattern and try it again one day. I've been very bad at cabling, but just kept doing it over and over again, and while it's certainly not perfect yet, I'm doing much better with it by now! The thing with the holes usually is that this certain stitch is too loose - if you concentrate on it and pull it really tightly, you'll quickly see a very positive change!

Roseann said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Inside Out socks! Maybe just some plain ribbing instead of the cabled ribbing? I see the lovely new pair you are planning. I wind my frogged yarn onto my niddy-niddy & wash it and most of the kinks go away.

tiennieknits said...

Glad the hubby loves his socks! Sorry that the Inside Outs are giving you a hard time - I want to knit those too!

Thanks for the link to my blog! You are too nice.