Sunday, September 02, 2007

Wash & Dry

I have looking for a better way of drying my handknitted socks so that they keep their shape while drying. I have wooden sock blockers that I bought from Pick Up Sticks but I don't think putting wet socks on wooden blockers is a good idea. So after some searching in blogland, I found 2 good solutions .....


.... these 2 pairs of socks are washed & drying out in the backyard. Mike's socks (the greyish ones) are in plastic hangers shaped like sock blockers ....

... isn't this great & there are lots of plastic hangers in the house & I can always whip up another one. You can check this out if you want to make one. The other pair of socks are in plastic placemats blockers .....

..... I just place my wooden blockers on a placemat & cut them out - they so easy to make & they fitted perfectly but a little difficult to put the socks on as they are quite soft but I think they are still great. Maybe I need to buy thicker placements, check out this tutorial if you want to make some. I saw another home made blockers on this blog using a thin plastic chopping board - think this is a good idea but I will need something sharp to cut the board.

I am so glad that there are so many creative knitters out in blogland & I had fun making up these sock blockers & now my socks are drying out nicely in perfect shape.
In the meantime, I have cast on another pair of socks for my husband - would you believe it that he asked for another pair as he is wearing out the 1st pair that I knitted for him ! I am more than happy to knit him another pair or many more as long as he likes wearing them, so here's the 1st sock .....


Yarn : Lana Grossa Mega Boots Stretch

Needles : 2.5mm Clover Bamboo dpns

Pattern : Wendy's Toe-up Gusset & Heel with a garter rib leg

I love the colors variation (although my husband is not so keen on red) & the yarn is soft & feels a little thicker than normal 4ply. He has tried on the sock & it fitted perfectly - now to finish off the 2nd one so that he can have a pair to wear when the other pair is being washed!

10 comments:

Rose Red said...

Great ideas for sock blockers! I like your husband's new socks - great colours!

AuntieAnn said...

Thanks for linking to my sock blocker, which I made using the tutorial you linked to for the placemat sock blockers. I just wanted to add that I cut mine with ordinary kitchen scissors, it was thin enough for that. This makes it a little hard to get the sock on, as with your placemat blocker, but I really only use it for the occasional picture, myself.

Sharon said...

I love the coat hanger blockers and used to use them all the time, the placemat is a good idea too!

Another knitted sock devotee, once you wear them you want more.

Dipsy Doodle said...

These are certainly amazing ideas for sock blockers - especially the one with the plastic hangers - I'm off right now to try that too! Thanks for sharing!
And I really love your Lana Grossa socks - beautiful colorway, so warm and calm!

tiennieknits said...

Great idea! I'm so lazy, I throw all the socks into the washing machine and dryer -bad knitter!

Susan Pandorf said...

Clever Ann! I just hang mine up by the toes and let my foot shape them when I put them on. Not as aesthetically pleasing, but practical.

I keep forgetting that your seasons are backwards from ours (or is it verse-vica?) Autumn colors on my end. Spring on yours

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

What an ingenious idea for sock blockers. Thanks so much for sharing!

That sock for hubby is so nice...I love those colors.

Roseann said...

Thank you for all the great sock blocker ideas! Your husband sock looks great, I'm glad he likes your handknit socks. The wool socks I made for Al were too warm and then cotton ones would not stay up so I gave up on knitting him socks.

Linda said...

They look great sock blockers!

Rebecca said...

Hi Ann,
I have been putting wet socks on my wooden blockers for years with no problems. I roll them in a towel first to get the excess moisture out of them. Looks like your way works, too!