Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Long Lacy Summer ......

..... an unoffical KAL that I have joined recently. It's hosted by the lovely Bells & it's great as participants can knit any lace project all during summer - no rules & guidelines & no pressure to finish ! Thanks Bells for creating such a great opportunity for lace knitting which I love - I think I have now realised that there are 3 kinds of knitting that I love - socks, lace & vests - all knitted with 1 type of yarn - 4 ply !
This is one of the lace project that I have been working on .....
....... a circular vest, a free pattern from Elann. I have just finished the armholes & put all 368 sts on a waste yarn so that I can try it on. It looks a little messy now & I have to just carry on knitting for the front. I think I have to increase to 528 sts before I can start knitting the border. As I am using a 4 ply cotton instead of the 10 ply stated in the pattern, I have to keep trying it on for size.
As of last night, I have 448 sts on the needle & I am really enjoying this - just knitting in the round & I can put it down anytime & then pick it up again .... another 80 sts more which is about 20 rounds to go .......
Although I keep trying not to cast on another new project until I have finished one, I just can't resist this .....

..... a lace wrap, Abertay from a new book by Louisa Harding. The minute I saw the pattern, I knew that I had to knit it & I also had the perfect yarn for it - Helios, a mix of silk & merino, in Mango Madness colorway by the creative Irene from Jolly Jumbuck . I think I have hit the jackpot with this project - I just love it so much that I can't put it down. It took me 3 tries in 3 hours to master the pattern but I did it & it's coming along so perfectly. The yarn is lovely to knit with & the color is ..... perfect ! On top of all these, I am knitting with .....

.... the Knitpicks Harmony needles - they are so smooth & the sharp ends are perfect for lace knitting. I have not knitted with straight needles for a long time but these needles are so light that they feel like circulars & of course the right length - 25 cm ! I think these are the best needles. I got them from Knitting Inspirations & if the store has not been updated, just contact Helen.

Now that I have the perfect project, I better be off knitting it ....

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Your Abertay is stunning. I'm going to have to follow your progress on this one!

Rebecca said...

Ha! Ha! Had to check the date on your post when I saw the bit about summer....then I remembered you are down under :-)

The game in America that is just like the "Snakes and Ladders" is called "Chutes and Ladders" and we took out all the morality stuff....too bad.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the design on the circular vest. I have a cardigan in my ravelry queue with that same design on the back and just haven't had a chance to knit it.

Rachel said...

Oooohhhh--a season of lace! Can't wait to see what all you do! Love the starts of both pieces you are working on now...beautiful color on the Knitspot's pattern!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that all looks fab. Love the look of the lace and love, love the swirly thing. Might have to get that pattern.

Susan said...

Oh the lace looks beautiful in that color! Hmmmm I might have to get some of those needles for scarf knitting.