Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Last 10 Days .....

.... I have been knitting quite a lot as it's the school holidays & I had more time at home. But I have not worked on any of my wips as I have been crazy over shawls after knitting Ishbel. I just love the shape of Ishbel & I wanted more !

So I knitted this ......


.... it's the La La's Simple Shawl but knitted in the shape of Ishbel. I use the stitch pattern & knitted it with Araucania Ranco Multy which has been sitting in my stash as I am not so keen on the colors. But my cousin wanted a garter stitch scarf for winter & she liked these colors. I decided that a scarf was too boring to knit, so I decided on a kerchief which will be nice around the neck.


It was a great knitting this kerchief as there was no chart to read - just a couple of garter st rows, then a couple of stocking st rows & then an eyelet row & just keep going until the right size. I did not use the whole ball of yarn & the kerchief measured 120cm x 50cm after blocking.


I got Lydia to take a model shot before this gorgeous kerchief was given away to my cousin who is wearing it everyday. She loves it!

I did not not have enough of shawl knitting & so cast on this .....

... it's the Milkweed Shawl in Handmaiden Casbah (Topaz) which Helen had in the store. Again, this was a great knit as I just love the garter stitch & the lace pattern is relatively easy. Plus the yarn is a joy to knit with.

The shape of this shawl is similar to Ishbel as there are edge increases on every row. The blocked size is 120cm x 56cm.

The only thing that bothers me about this shawl is the needle size. I use a 3.5mm as recommended by the pattern but the casbah is quite a thick yarn & a larger size needle (like 4mm or 4.5mm) will make a looser knit. I guess the smaller needle is used as only 1 skein of Casbah is used & if I increase the needle size, I will need more than 1 skein. Anyway, I am still very pleased with this shawl & love it.

I had it blocking on Friday & took it off on Saturday so that I can bring it to City Nits & give it to Helen .....

Doesn't it look great on her? I have to stop this shawl knitting & get back to my projects but I don't know how long I can resist this urge to cast on another shawl .....

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Two beautiful shawls. And why resist? Knit more, they are fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shawls. Love the Cashbah one. I've got some in purple in my stash.

Rebecca said...

I know! Shawl knitting is addictive, isn't it! My daughter just requested one for her Christmas present so I'm glad to see your finished pictures. Yours are lovely!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Beautiful shawls! I am gearing up to hopefully start my first soon.

Rachel said...

Both are beautiful! I especially like the color of the second.

I'm constantly amazed at how fast you can knit projects! At that speed I say continue to satisfy your craving...knit more shawls!

alltangledup said...

i'm seeing the milkweed shawl everywhere! It's lovely isn't it? I particulatrly love that green.

Unknown said...

All your beautiful triangular shawls have had a very inspiring effect on me! I like milkweed a great deal.

Beautiful..