Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Midsummer's Night Dream

I know that the title is not right as it's Midwinter now but I just can't help falling in love with this yarn - Socks That Rocks Silkie, colorway Midsummer's Night (forgot to take a picture of the yarn) - it's like a dream - soft, smooth & so comfortable against the skin !

I had this yarn in my stash for a while & have been wanting to knit with it. So I decided to wind it up & knit a pair of socks. I cast on & as I knit away, I kept feeling the yarn & the sock & started dreaming ..... it's really so soft & so good against the skin .... I put it on my neck & the feeling is great as I never like wool on my neck but this is really different. As I knitted my sock (I was increasing for the gusset), I realised that this yarn is not destined to be a pair of socks but it should be a scarf or a shawl. Then I knew that it had to be Ishbel which I have been dreaming of eversince I saw a knitted one IRL.
So my dream came true & in 3 days, I had this......

..... it was really a dream to knit Ishbel - it's a great pattern & I love the stocking stitch beginning leading to the lace. I knitted the small size as I wanted to wear it around my neck when I am out driving my daughter to school early in the mornings & I have been wearing it since ......

..... I just love this little shawl (120cm x 42cm) & it's my favorite color. Although it's a triangle shawl, the shape is different as the 2 ends of the triangle is much longer than normal as there are edge increases on both sides of the shawl - this is a great feature for a shawl that can be wound around the neck. I have to knit another one ...... and maybe I will stop knitting socks ?

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful! What a good decision.

Micki said...

Lovely!

Rebecca said...

THREE days? WOW! The yarn looks absolutely gorgeous knit up as a shawl. I really like fingering-weight shawls although I'm just about ready to try knitting one with laceweight yarn. I've had my eye on Ishbel, too.

Rachel said...

First I can't believe you ripped out a sock after that much knitting! I don't think I could have done that! But it was obviously a really good choice because this Ishbel is lovely! Second...3 days! Seriously impressive!

AuntieAnn said...

Your Ishbel inspired me to make one (which I haven't begun yet, but I will!). And a friend here saw it when I favorited yours on on Rav, and now she's inspired too! I like that it's not a "traditional" triangle shape, but somewhat shallower and wider.

Anonymous said...

Your Ishbel looks gorgeous.