Friday, March 09, 2012

Carrying On the Tradition

I have always wanted to knit when I was young. I love cross stitching and beading & also did a bit of crochet but knitting was always on my mind. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone or a class to go to when I lived in Singapore.

When I moved to Perth, I knew that I will be able to fulfill my wish of learning knitting but it took me 2 years (I was busy with settling down) to find a class at a LYS. That was 8 years ago & now knitting is a passion. Sometimes, I think I started knitting too late as I could have done lots more if I know how to knit when I was young. I have heard many stories of knitting being a tradition that was passed down from generations & I do think that it's a great tradition.

Now I have the ability to pass on this tradition to my 2 girls & I am glad that both of them can knit.

Lynette only knits if she wants a particular item like a scarf but I am sure it's a skill that she has for the rest of her life & maybe she will be knitting more in the future.

Lydia knits frequently but only during school holidays when there is no pressure of school work & exams. She has been knitting squares for charity for the last 4 years & during the December school holidays, I had her working on blankets from my leftover sock yarn. She managed to knit 4 blankets .....


.... these are only 2 of them as I gave the other 2 away.


She also knitted this rainbow square blanket in the round from a Rowan handspun yarn kit that I had in my stash.

Recently, she wanted to knit toys & she made up her own design ....


.... she has more patience than I have as she sewed all the pieces together & stuff it.

Well, I am happy that I have passed on this tradition & I hope my girls will carry it on to the next generation.

6 comments:

2paw said...

I am always glad my nan and mum taught me to knit, it is something I enjoy, I can make things to wear and it is fun. It is a lovely tradition to pass on, Lydia's knitting is lovely!!

Rose Red said...

I love that you have passed on your knitting skill to your daughters. Lydia's knitting is fabulous! Those blankets! There is a lot of work in all of those! And the bunny is so cute, what a clever girl she is.

Roseann said...

What a nice post! I love seeing how your creativity carries on through your daughters. The blankets are beautiful and the rabbit is so cute! Is there any spinning in their futures?

Bells said...

oh! So much to be proud of. I adore that rainbow blanket especially.

I hope they always knit.

Rebecca said...

I am so excited for you that your daughters are knitting! I wasn't so fortunate with my two...well, one knits but would rather do other things in the little spare time she gets. Maybe someday! I didn't start knitting again until I was 45 so I'm sure you will have more time that I will to crank out all those projects..LOL

Rachel said...

So nice to see your daughters embrace the craft! It's funny...I don't know why exactly but I turned away from all things domestic as I was growing up (maybe due to a very rocky relationship with my mom that has more recently become better) and instead wanted to be outside doing 'man' work with dad. It wasn't until I hit 30 that I began 1) embracing those 'domestic' attributes of cooking/knitting/gardening etc and 2) realizing I can do both sets of tasks quite easily. Of course now my mom is thrilled! But I do find that most folks I work with can't come to terms with me being a field biologist but also loving these other things. It doesn't bother me but I find it sad they are so close-minded.