Friday, February 23, 2007

Rip, Rip & Rip

For the past few days, I have been living in the frog pond as I rip 1 sock after another - 1st it was my Conifer (in my previous post), then it was the Rose Hip Slip Up Sock .....


.... which was going all right but as I saw how nicely the pattern ( a free pattern from Posh Yarn)is coming along on the leg, I decided that it should start from the top of the leg - why knit a sock which is half pretty.... I have re-cast-on & now knitting happily along....


The 3rd sock that I ripped is the Tofusies which I have cast-on using 2.5mm dpns & the tension was loose as the yarn is relatively thin .... so I re-cast-on with 2.25mm & the toe looks alright BUT (I think I am in an adventurous mood), I decided to try & knit a garter stitch toe as presented in the pattern (Sixth Sense Sock from Six Sox KAL) - never did I realise that this is not quite simple as the pattern is written from cuff down & as usual, I only knit my socks toe-up. The problem that I was having was the decrease row on the wrong side (which is supposed to be a purl row) but now it is a knit row - so how do you knit the wraps together - after several attempts - I managed to figure it out - do a knit together tbl (on the RS) & a SSK (on the WS) - it looks alright but it's not perfect. Take a look at my 1st garter stitch toe ......
It's quite pretty & different from the usual stocking stitch toe & I am happy with it for the time being - maybe one of you knitters can share your experience if you have knitted a garter stitch toe using the wrap & turn method.

I am already all wrapped up with socks this week & then I received my February's sock club package from Pick Up Sticks & what a lovely yarn ....

... it's Spunky Eclectic Romance Skinny Socks (100% merino) with a lovely Love Song pattern, a ripple-patterned sock with a removable lace cuff - how unusual !

5 comments:

tiennieknits said...

That is lovely yarn.

I've only done one pair of toe-ups and am working on my 2nd so don't have any advice - sorry!

Sasha said...

Wow Anne! You're certainly keeping yourself busy and those needles clicking (or ripping..) away! Always inspiring to see what you're up to :)

Michelle said...

i've been on a knitting and frogging weekend as well. will post abt it tonight!! ugh!! i hate frogging!!

Roseann said...

Your garter stitch toe looks great!!! The yarn is very pretty, too, how do you like knitting with it? I love your February sock yarn & pattern from Pick Up Sticks,though it looks like it will knit up differently from the picture on the pattern. Very nice!

2paw said...

Look at all those delicious socks: and you are so clever with the garter stitch toe!! The newest wool and pattern looks very interesting: a detachable cuff?? Wow!! I am always namimg things. It is a habit I can't shake and it amuses me no end too, so that's not bad!!!